Thursday 24 March 2016

WEEK 5 Game Analysis

 How does morality influence the choices you make in the game?

When I played the telltale adventure game The Wolf Among Us (2013), I would make choices that would go against my morals, but then I'd jump back to doing the right thing again. I planned on making some jerk choices like throwing the fable out of the window in the first sequence and staying silent at the wrong times, but then I feel bad, not just for Bigby, but because I'd be going against my morals - I wouldn't really throw someone out the window if they got on my bad side.
This did influence the choices I made at times as the character Bigby isn't liked by many characters and is 'the big bad wolf' and I felt sorry for him, I wanted to make good decisions and choices that would benefit him and others around him. Especially playing as a once villain, I wanted to make choices that would perhaps go with his true morals. Colin the pig said to Bigby that he likes to be seen as a lone wolf, which might not be the case.

The game does allow me to get into the character of someone else as it gives me multiple options on what to say to another character. This makes me feel like I really am the character, so I feel like I need to stick with my morals to help Bigby out.

One thing that did take me off guard was when a note in the top corner of the screen would say 'Colin will remember that'. This also influenced me to make moral based decisions and made me guilty for making a bad decision.
In 'Ethical Dilemmas and Dominant Moral Strategies In Games' , Brandon Perdue said "The model that rewards certain choices over others, or different choices in different ways, tends to functionally make the choices for the players; the player will be more successful at the game if he picks the optimal choice for his strategy." In Bigby's case, making the optimal choice definitely benefited his reputation. This is proven when I would choose the right dialogue or action to help others and it was greatly appreciated by the other characters.
In the gaming world morality does at times slip away, but eventually comes back. I can't say this for everyone's case, but this does apply to me when I played this game.

No comments:

Post a Comment