Thursday 7 April 2016

Earthquake Newspaper Clipping

When I took art design in high school, we had to make magazine articles. We were told to pick whatever text from the internet and just chuck it in. Earthquakes are natural disasters that have taken many lives and can be a very sensitive topic to people that have experienced earthquakes or lost loved ones from an earthquake. Copying text from an existing earthquake article I think will be too insensitive, so I will try type something out that seems believable, but hopefully wont offend anyone.

I looked up 'destroyed buildings' for an image to use in the newspaper clipping. Lots of bombing incidents and earthquake related photos came up, but I feel like that would be to easy and thoughtless, again: insensitive. So instead I am looking up 'demolition of buildings' this way no one was really hurt and the destruction was man made and intentional.
The image below is from a demolition in Chicago that needed to modernize the hospital complex at Rush University. I reckon it works well :)

http://chicagoist.com/2016/03/01/since_2004_rush_university_has.php#photo-1


I need to make it look a bit old and the edges will be a bit torn. Might try a sepia type overlay to show that it has aged a bit. I tried to write it sort of realistically. This isn't the final newspaper clipping. As I said, I will add overlays and play around with the effects to get an old slightly ruined look.

No comments:

Post a Comment