Friday 12 August 2016

A Look into Psychology

My mind is been very blank regarding what discipline I want to go with. I have interests in different things, but none that I have lots of knowledge in. So I've decided to go with something more abstract and something I don't really understand at all..which doesn't seem like the obvious choice.
I've decided to look into Psychology - I'm not entirely sure if this is what I want to go with, but it's getting more and more interesting so I'll keep looking into it and hopefully something will jump up and smack me in the face.
Psychology is very broad, so I'm having a look at each branch to better understand what exactly psychology is. (I honestly didn't know what psychology was before I looked into it now)...

Psychology is the science of the mind and behavior. The word "psychology" comes from the Greek word psyche meaning "breath, spirit, soul", and the Greek word logia meaning the study of something.

Clinical Psychology →
Concentrates on the intellectual, emotional, biological, psychological, social, & behavioral aspects of human performance. The scientific study & application of psychology in order to understand, prevent & alleviate psychologically- caused distress or dysfunction (disability) & promote the patients well-being & personal development.

Cognitive Psychology →
Investigates internal mental processes such as problem solving, memory, learning & language (how people think, perceive, communicate, remember & learn). How people acquire, process & store information.

Developmental Psychology →
The scientific study of systematic psychological changes that a person experiences over the course of his/her life span. Human development. Includes any psychological factor including motor skills, problem solving, moral understanding, acquiring language, emotions, personality, self concept & identity formation.

Evolutionary Psychology →
How human behavior has been affected by psychological adjustments during evolution. An evolutionary psychologist believes, for example, that language or memory perception are functional products of natural selection.

Forensic Psychology →
Applying psychology to criminal investigation and the law. Includes understanding criminal law in order to interact with judges, lawyers etc within the legal system. Forensic psychology involves the ability to testify in court, to present psychological findings in legal language to the courtroom, and to provide data to legal professionals in a clear way.

Health Psychology →
Observes how behavior, biology & social context influence illness & health. A health psychologists aim is to improve the patient's overall health by analyzing disease in the context of biopsychological factors (how the brain & neurotransmitters influence our behaviors, thoughts & feelings). 

I'll look into more branches in another blog post

No comments:

Post a Comment